Careers with Darnells
We are a Chartered Accountancy and Business Advisory practice based in Devon, offering a comprehensive range of accountancy and business services.
Founded over 70 years ago, our service is customer-focused and our experienced team, led by six Partners, works with a wide range of clients – from individuals to large companies, throughout the UK.
Our combined experience has allowed us to build an in-depth knowledge of various sectors – including the agriculture, construction, education, professional services and tourism industries. In addition to these, we have also gained a very well-respected reputation within the realms of Healthcare, Forensic Accounting and Professional Partnerships.
Alongside Darnells Chartered Accountants & Business Advisers, we have a separate division, Darnells Wealth Management Ltd, whose qualified and knowledgeable experts work with clients on a variety of Financial Planning services such as investments, retirement planning, income protection and portfolio management.
We do not just give our clients ‘a hand’ with their accounting, auditing, payroll and tax-related needs; through our holistic approach, we take their needs ‘in hand’ and help them to shape their businesses for their future.
If you feel that you would like to be part of our energetic, exciting and professional team, please get in touch with Carole-Anne Barr, HR Manager including your full CV and covering letter via email: email@example.com or in writing to:
Darnells Chartered Accountants
Working With Us
Looking after our people and rewarding their commitment to the business is a key priority at Darnells. We offer a range of market-leading benefits to all of our employees, including:
- Annual salary reviews
- Full funded training qualifications (time and costs)
- Flexible hours scheme available that also can include home working
- Payment of 1 professional subscription per year
- Free Life assurance (for managers)
- Up to 32 days starting holiday entitlement (including bank holidays) with the option to automatically carry over 2 days into the next holiday year
- Free teas and coffees
- Lifestyle benefits package (including cycle to work, subsidised gym and fitness centre)
- Monetary supplement for referring clients and staff
- A social and professional network including local and firm-wide events
- Pleasant working environment – including a staff kitchen and rest room
Post of Accounts Assistant/Semi Senior – Exeter office
In terms of qualification we are looking for someone within 6/12 months of qualification – both pre and post qualification. We would like the candidate to either be ACA and ACCA qualified, or working towards this qualification. Training may be available and should be discussed at interview.
The successful candidate should be ambitious and progression is available for the right person.
Technically, after in-house training we would expect them to produce accounts files for manager/partner review. This will include preparation of the corporation tax computation and drafting the various standard letters.
Good communication skills are essential, both verbal and written – as we are in the communications industry.
Partners Assistant – Full Time
We are currently seeking to recruit a PA to work closely with the Partners of the firm. The successful candidate will be ACCA/ACA qualified, with at least 7 years’ Practice experience.
The job specification is below, but is not exhaustive.
- Reviewing clients
- Giving tax advice
- Meeting clients
- Ensuring files are correct prior to meetings and that all information has been handed over to the Partner
- Undertaking ad-hoc specialist work
- Managing junior staff and delegating work
- Working under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Experience in audit work
- This role will need someone who is really centred and focused on their role
- We work to tight time-sheet deadlines so a methodical approach is required
- Knowledge of candidate must be equivalent to that of a Partner
- Someone who can think 2-3 steps ahead of the Partner they are working for
- Good organisational skills are essential
- Planning and reviewing accounts for Sole Traders, Partnerships and Limited Companies.
- Sending final accounts to clients.
- Setting budgets for staff, assisting staff with Accounts completion, and on-the job training for junior staff.
- Preparing and reviewing Tax Returns. Calculating income tax liabilities, and advising clients thereon.
- Preparing and reviewing Corporation Tax Returns. Calculating corporation tax liabilities and advising clients thereon.
- Meeting with clients, carrying out tax planning and giving advice.
- Forecasting work.
- Dealing with everyday correspondence and E Mails.
- Tax enquiry work as it arises.
- Managing client portfolio including billing.
This candidate needs to be either ACA/ACCA fully qualified.
We feel this position would someone who is an “all rounder” as they could be answering questions put to them from small sole trader clients to directors of limited companies.