Careers with Darnells
We are a Chartered Accountancy and Business Advisory practice based in Devon, offering a comprehensive range of accountancy and business services.
Founded over 70 years ago, our service is customer-focused and our experienced team, led by six Partners, works with a wide range of clients – from individuals to large companies, throughout the UK.
Our combined experience has allowed us to build an in-depth knowledge of various sectors – including the agriculture, construction, education, professional services and tourism industries. In addition to these, we have also gained a very well-respected reputation within the realms of Healthcare, Forensic Accounting and Professional Partnerships.
Alongside Darnells Chartered Accountants & Business Advisers, we have a separate division, Darnells Wealth Management Ltd, whose qualified and knowledgeable experts work with clients on a variety of Financial Planning services such as investments, retirement planning, income protection and portfolio management.
We do not just give our clients ‘a hand’ with their accounting, auditing, payroll and tax-related needs; through our holistic approach, we take their needs ‘in hand’ and help them to shape their businesses for their future.
If you feel that you would like to be part of our energetic, exciting and professional team, please get in touch with Carole-Anne Barr, HR Manager including your full CV and covering letter via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to:
Darnells Chartered Accountants
Partners Assistant – Full Time
We are currently seeking to recruit a PA to work closely with the Partners of the firm. The successful candidate will be ACCA/ACA qualified, with at least 7 years’ Practice experience.
The job specification is below, but is not exhaustive.
- Reviewing clients
- Giving tax advice
- Meeting clients
- Ensuring files are correct prior to meetings and that all information has been handed over to the Partner
- Undertaking ad-hoc specialist work
- Managing junior staff and delegating work
- Working under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Experience in audit work
- This role will need someone who is really centered and focused on their role
- We work to tight time-sheet deadlines so a methodical approach is required
- Knowledge of candidate must be equivalent to that of a Partner
- Someone who can think 2-3 steps ahead of the Partner they are working for
- Good organisational skills are essential
Assistant to Company Secretary / Statutory Manager – Full Time
We are looking for an extremely capable, experienced and enthusiastic secretary/administrative assistant to assist the Company Secretary in the running of the statutory department.
The Statutory department is responsible for the compliance of the Practice’s client company’s legal and statutory requirements and for the provision of advice and support with general company administration matters. This is a fee earning role.
- Assisting with ensuring that client companies are legally compliant with the Companies Act 2006.
- Dealing with filing of documentation at Companies House.
- Assisting with the production of Board Minutes and Resolutions and any other relevant documentation to effect changes within the companies.
- Maintaining accurate and up to date company records.
- Meeting with clients to discuss routine company matters, if required.
- Assisting other members of staff with routine statutory queries.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a secretarial role working at a senior level.
- Highly motivated and results driven.
- Excellent communication, presentation and time management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail
Proficient in MS Office.
- Able to work under pressure when necessary
Experience of working within a legal environment, especially in relation to corporate/company areas would be an advantage, but not essential as training will be given to the successful candidate.
Salary to be negotiated, dependent on experience. Office hours are 8.30 am – 5 pm with one hour for lunch. Flexi-time is in operation. This position is for our Newton Abbot office.
Trainee Payroll Clerk
Due to the continued expansion of the department, we are looking for a trainee payroll clerk to join our team.
As a successful firm of Chartered Accountants, we provide payroll services for our clients and with the recent introduction of Auto Enrolment and RTI, and legislation continually being updated, the need has arisen for a new member of staff.
No former experience is necessary in this area; however, due to the nature of the work involved, we require a minimum of GCSE Maths and English.
As a trainee, you will learn how the department is run, have full instruction on our payroll software, attend relevant courses and assist with the administrative work for the department.
Office hours: 8.3 0am – 5.00 pm with one hour for lunch.
The successful candidate will be processing payrolls on behalf of our clients. These are very varied from annual to weekly and from set salaries to timesheets. There will be direct contact with clients and client relationship handling.
This is an interesting and varied role and responsibility/requirements are as follows:
- Operating Sage – payroll knowledge is essential.
- Processing BACS payments where necessary.
- Processing Pension submissions, assessments and uploads
- Dealing with client queries and liaison
- Providing support to internal staff on payroll queries.
- Processing end of year Declarations and P60s
- May include visits to client premises to help them with payroll queries in general and give them guidance on payroll.
- Candidate needs to be able to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines/cut offs.
- Must be able to prioritise workflow, be organised and switch between tasks.
- Must be able to work to tight deadlines and appreciate how important payroll is within the firm.
There is a timesheet system in operation, so the successful candidate needs to be methodical in their approach to working and feel able to log their time on each client efficiently and with sufficient narrative.
Additional duties as requested by your manager. Training on our specific systems will be given.
- Planning and reviewing accounts for Sole Traders, Partnerships and Limited Companies.
- Sending final accounts to clients.
- Setting budgets for staff, assisting staff with Accounts completion, and on-the job training for junior staff.
- Preparing and reviewing Tax Returns. Calculating income tax liabilities, and advising clients thereon.
- Preparing and reviewing Corporation Tax Returns. Calculating corporation tax liabilities and advising clients thereon.
- Meeting with clients, carrying out tax planning and giving advice.
- Forecasting work.
- Dealing with everyday correspondence and E Mails.
- Tax enquiry work as it arises.
- Managing client portfolio including billing.
This candidate needs to be either ACA/ACCA fully qualified.
We feel this position would someone who is an “all rounder” as they could be answering questions put to them from small sole trader clients to directors of limited companies.